« back to search results

Image 3 of 12
< Prev Next >
New Zealand_MG_4210.jpg
Carved Traditional Maori Figures, called Poupou, supporting the overhead rafters of the meeting house.  These are the fourth and fifth on the left side after entering the house.  The fifth represents the Ngai Te Rangi tribe of Tauranga.  The small head between the legs shows the extent of tattooing on women's faces in earlier times.   Te Whare Runanga, built 1940, Waitangi Treaty Grounds, Paihia, north island, New Zealand.  The woven panels on either side of the poupou are called tukutuku.  These are comprised of vertically-placed toetoe reeds (kakaho) across which lie narrow laths (kaho), laced through with colored strips of pingao grass and kiekie.